Custom homes, tree-lined streets, and quiet splendor are all part of Monte Sereno’s charm. Thibault Builders is always happy to work with our Monte Sereno clients and love what we learn from them though the years. Monte Sereno is a special place. We thought you might like to know what we have heard about why folks love it.
Quick Overview of Monte Sereno
Monte Sereno is a small town of about 4,000 residents and it is often considered to be a part of Los Gatos. Monte Sereno does share the Los Gatos Police & Fire departments, but it is it’s own city and zip code, 95030. There are no street lights or sidewalks and there are no businesses in Monte Sereno, proper.
Surrounded by beautiful grassy foothills which are green in the winter and spring. The rolling hills turn wheat color during the summer months. The 1.6 miles that make up Monte Sereno is considered one of the most highly regarded and upscale communities in Silicon Valley. The median home price is $2M and the median age is 51.
Monte Sereno – Nuts & Bolts
- Growth Projections for Monte Sereno – As of 2015, the City of Monte Sereno serves 3,451 residents within its 1.61 square mile incorporated area. ABAG projects that the City’s population will grow by approximately 0.6% per year until the population levels off in 2025, remaining mostly constant through 2040 when it is projected to have a population of 3,700. The City has three unincorporated islands that total 203.9 acres. The City has indicated its willingness to incorporate these three islands into the municipal boundary, assuming there is community support for the annexation. The residents of these urban islands, however, have been largely unsupportive of City annexation in the past. The City has identified sufficient housing opportunities to meet its RHNA of 61 housing units between 2014 and 2022. The City does not anticipate that growth patterns will expand beyond Monte Sereno’s existing USA. No PDAs exist within Monte Sereno for infill development. (Source: LAFCO for Monte Sereno.)
- Coordinates – 37.2363° N, 121.9925° W
- Remodeling in Monte Sereno – If you are looking for zoning maps, conditional use permits or village design guidelines, the City of Monte Sereno suggests you check in with their Building Department. They will review your construction plans, facilitates permit issuance and will conduct inspections to ensure safe, healthy and attractive property improvements in compliance with codes, policies, guidelines and standards. Remember, you are always welcome to reach out to Thibault Builders. We would be happy to have a chat.
- Beekeepers in Monte Sereno – Contact a local beekeeper if you need to move a swarm of bees from your property. Not sure if you have bees or wasps? Use this document from the Santa Clara Valley Beekeepers before you call. Do not spray the hive. Call the beekeeper for your area and this service to remove a hive is often free of charge. BeeGuild.com
- Recycling & E-Waste – West Valley Recycles is the collection and recycling company in Monte Sereno. Their telephone number is 408-283-9250. Information about their services, what is acceptable for recycling is on their website West Valley Recycles. If you would like information about renting dumpsters, bins, getting rid of concrete and dirt can be found here.
- Metal Recycling – Scrap metal, CRV warehouse Open 7 Days a Week. They also buy glass, aluminum CRV and plastic CRV. MetalRecycling
- Disposal of Hazardous Waste – Battery recycling, light bulbs and other household waste contact the Los Gatos HHWD for details and the link for making appointments.
- Ignitables, Corrosives & Reactives – Recycle your old paints, dry or wet, petroleum products, polishes, gasoline, pool cleaning chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers, propane, smoke detectors and other dangerous items can be recycled at the County of Santa Clara drop off points. Check their online calendar for the dates. Do not bring your pets but do bring your proof of residency.
- Emergency Preparedness (CERT) – The Los Gatos Police Department works with Monte Sereno and surrounding areas to organize for the disaster preparedness. Sponsored by FEMA, the CERT program is 18 hours long and you can find more information about preparedness, fire suppression, damage assessment, HAZMAT situations and terrorism.
- Wildfire Preparedness – Be ready for a wildfire with the “Red, Set, Go” practice. Planning guide and other links are on the Monte Sereno emergency preparedness website.
- Habitat for Humanity – Looking for home improvement products like new cabinets or gently used appliances and furniture? Or want to find a home for your cabinets, building materials or appliances you are replacing? Habitat For Humanity has stores in the Bay Area where they sell gently used items and can also take donation. Check their website and enter your zip code for the closest store to you. Their stores are called Habitat For Humanity ReStore. Your donations are tax deductible.
- Preventing Coyotes and Mountain Lions – In California, coyotes breed mainly during January, February, and March. Coyote dens are found in steep banks, rock crevices, sinkholes, and underbrush. The Monte Sereno City Services website has more info about wildfires, mountain lions and coyotes and how to prevent them on your property.
Various & Sundry in Monte Sereno
- Historic Gardens – The Winterbourne Estate in Monte Sereno is known for its maze, bass pond, Baccarat chandelier and was designed to be similar to Hearst Castle. It is a 5.6 acre estate with a very special garden. Winterbourne’s list of features include a floating tea house, a living maze designed with yew trees, a bass pond, tennis court, swimming pool, bath house, guest house, oak terrace, private orchard, bee hives, a camellia garden, topiary garden that is very whimsical with cuddly bears, children’s play area, lawns and terraces. (Source: Patch)
- Claims to Fame – There is a home in Monte Sereno that was once owned by John Steinbeck and his wife, Carol. The home is at 16250 Greenwood Lane and Mr. Steinbeck wrote the “Grapes of Wrath” and “Of Mice and Men” in this home in Monte Sereno. The home was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 1989.
- Weather – In the winter months, the average is around 60 degrees and during the summer months, the high is 80 degrees. Late winter months, Monte Sereno averages about a 23% precipitation.
Things To Do in Monte Sereno
- Hiking Trails in Monte Sereno – Aquafinas Trail begins at the park boundary gate at the end of Sheldon Road and is part of the El Sereno Preserve. Note the beautiful photo at the top of the page taken by hiker Sharron Johnson that we found on the AllTrails website. Another good hike can be found on the Castle Rock Trail. Yes, we know that’s about 12 miles from Monte Sereno, however, Monte Sereno locals love it. Skyline-to-the-sea is also a favorite. Keep in mind, however, that this trail takes over 10 hours to hike as it’s 30 miles in total – between Hwy 9 and Hwy 35. Check out more information about the best trails in Saratoga on the Best Trails website.
- Equestrian Families – Garrod Farms and Riding Stables is a family-owned and operated establishment that welcomes riders of all skill levels. They also board horses and teach riding lessons for all levels. Family owned and operated. For their hours and rates and rules about pets and minors, check their website or give them a call at Tel: 408-867-9527 – Website: Garrod Farms
- Wine – Paul Masson, in nearby Saratoga, was built In 1890. Paul Masson planted French champagne grapes in the rich Saratoga soil and opened his winery on the land where the Saratoga ranchers use to grow cherries, apricots, figs and French prunes. There is a tasting room at Paul Masson and at Big Basin Vineyards which are the two closest tasting rooms to Monte Sereno. The Mountain Winery was made famous in part by legendary actor and director Orson Welles (Citizen Kane), who voiced the famed slogan, “We will sell no wine before its time.”
- Farmers Market – Nearby Monte Sereno, in Saratoga, there are 50 + farmers and vendors every Saturday 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. It’s at West Valley College, Parking Lot 2 – Allendale Ave & Science Wy, Saratoga, CA 95070. Farmers Market | Saratoga also has a second smaller Farmer’s Market on Wednesdays from 2 to 7pm. It’s held at 12770 Saratoga Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070. You can park at the Price of Peace church parking lot adjacent to the market. Check their Facebook page for special announcements and seasonal hours.
- Geocaching Trails – There are 70 trails near Monte Sereno. Traillink.com has 70 “cache” trails nearby Los Gatos/Monte Sereno. Use your GPS to “cache” and search for the hidden treasure. There are millions of geocaches hidden around the world.
Thibault Builders – Custom Home Builder in Monte Sereno
If you live in Monte Sereno or are considering a move to the area, Thibault builders is a name to keep close at hand. From your custom home build, full remodel, basement build-out, or complete kitchen or bath renovation, please start by reading our reviews or simply give us a call at 408-866-6647. We look forward to hearing from you!
PHOTO CREDIT – Thank you Sharron Johnson for your beautiful photo from high on the Aquinas Trail. Photos like yours, found on the AllTrails website keep South Bay hikers inspired to find new trails. Thank you!